To wrap up our series on peace and peacemaking, Erik Palmer moderates a session with Jason VanDorsten and Jason Goetz to answer some of the questions that were submitted over the course of the series, including the topics of persecution, being salt and light, making peace with non-Christians, and more.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- Has this series been helpful to you in regards to the subject of peace or peacemaking? Why or why not?
- Read and discuss Matthew 5:1-16. What is your reaction to the introduction of persecution into the Beatitudes text? Why should peacemakers expect to be persecuted? Why would Jesus say “blessed are those who are persecuted”?
- Do you feel you have ever been persecuted as a direct result of following Christ?
- What is your response to Jesus’ admonition to “rejoice and be glad” in the midst of persecution (v. 12)? Why can Jesus make such a bold command?
- Have you ever made peace with a non-Christian? What happened? What was the process like?
- Do you tend to think of the Gospel mainly as a presentation or as a way of life? How can you grow in that area?
- What does it mean to “live out the Gospel” before others? How do you feel you’re doing with that?
- Do you know someone who is having a difficult time finding peace in the midst of a difficult season or situation? What could you do to encourage them? Take some time to pray for them in your group, then make some time this week to reach out and encourage them.