Too many of us fall into fear and despair because we see God through the lens of our earthly relationships. Yet, through Jesus, God has adopted us as His very own children.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing you found particularly interesting, insightful, helpful or difficult to understand from this sermon?
- Read and discuss Romans 8:14-17. What do these verses tell us about us? What do they tell us about God?
- What is something you feel guilt or shame about?
- How does Romans 8:14-17 free us from the burdens of guilt, shame, fear and performance?
- Why would the enemy want us to relate to God the same way we relate to our earthly parents (or other earthly relationships)?
- What does it mean that we are adopted by God and thus “heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ” (Rom. 8:17)? What are the daily practical implications of this truth as we live out our lives?
- In what ways do you tend to identify yourself by your performance? How does the gospel simultaneously free us from the burden of performance, while enabling us to perform rightly?
- Spend time in prayer thanking God for adopting you as a son or daughter. Ask Him to help you live out this truth in your daily life.