As we conclude our series in the book of Ruth, Pastor Mike explains how the main theme of the story is redemption. Ruth and Naomi's redemption through Boaz is a foreshadowing of the ultimate redemption by our kinsman-redeemer, Jesus Christ.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- How does Boaz's redemption of Ruth and Naomi point to the redemption of God's people through Christ? Can you think of other stories in the Old Testament that point to that redemption?
- Pastor Mike said the qualifications of a kinsman-redeemer are: 1) He is a relative. 2) He is able to redeem. 3) He is willing to redeem. 4) He is free from the problem of the one he is to redeem. Talk about the reasons that Christ is eligible to be our kinsman-redeemer.
- Read and discuss Galatians 3:10-29 and Romans 3:19-24. How do these passages explain the "problem" from which we need to be redeemed?
- Referring to the genealogy of Jesus, Pastor Mike said, "God redeems the mess. God even takes messes and uses them for His redemptive purposes." Is this encouraging to you? Do you see any ways that God has used the "mess" in your own life, or those around you?
- What is one thing you've learned (or re-learned) from the study of Ruth that has encouraged you or challenged you in your Christian walk?
- Spend some time in prayer thanking God for providing us a kinsman-redeemer and Savior.