It is common today to separate Christ from his church – people want Jesus, but not church involvement. Yet, God has ordained that the church play a major role in His great work of redemption. Ephesians 5 presents the church as Jesus’ bride and conveys with great strength and promise the deep, abiding love God has for those who are His in Christ.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What comes to mind when you think of the word “church”? What have your experiences with church been like?
- What are the distinctions between the “little C” church and the “big C” Church? How are they different? How are they linked?
- Read Ephesians 5:21-33. What might this tell you about the nature of man? What does it tell you about Jesus Christ?
- What do these verses tell you about Jesus’ relationship with his people, the church?
- It what ways does the analogy of “church as bride” resonate with you? Where do you have trouble grasping the analogy?
- Does your interaction and involvement with the local church reflect the care, encouragement and protection due a bride? In what ways could you grow in loving the church as the bride of Christ?
- Spend some time praying for RBC and other local churches in our area and around the world.