While none of us have perfect families or perfect homes, dwelling only on past mistakes or future fears can hijack God’s perfect blueprint for the family. But as grace covers our faults in this area, submission and humility are required to move toward biblical roles in the context of family relationships.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- When you were a child, what was it like growing up in your family? How would you describe the roles in your household as you grew up? What would you change?
- Read and discuss Colossians 3:18-25. What do these verses tell us about us? What do they tell us about God?
- In what ways can the home be a model for the Gospel of Jesus?
- What does it mean in general to "submit to the Lordship of Christ"?
- What does that look like specifically for you in your role in your family (i.e. as a husband, wife, son, daughter, father, mother, etc.) to submit to the Lordship of Christ?
- It what ways is humility essential in keeping to biblical family roles? How do you need to grow in this area?
- Is there anything in your family that you need to ask forgiveness for? What has held you back from doing so?
- What big ideas have you come away with as a result of the Role Call series? Has God grown you in your understanding or biblical gender roles? How? Are there some areas or concepts you are still struggling with? How can your small group help?