The blessing of remembrance is the enjoyment of God and all His benefits, but when we choose to forget God, there are relational and generational consequences. Only in Christ do we have the power to remember as we should.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing you found particularly interesting, insightful, helpful or difficult to understand from this sermon?
- What is one of your favorite memories? Why? How does this memory illustrate the power of remembering for you?
- Read and discuss Deuteronomy 4:9, 8:11-20, Judges 2:10-12 and 2 Peter 1:3-15. What do these verses tell you about you? What do they tell us about God? What do they indicate about remembering and forgetting?
- How does being "heads down" lead to a slow drift away from God, His presence and His benefits?
- "The blessings of the Lord become idols in a forgetful heart." How have you seen this to be true? What do you tend to trust in other than God?
- How does forgetting God and what He's done whither our spiritual growth?
- How do the consequences of forgetfulness have ripple effects that go beyond ourselves?
- What things do you tend to forget about God? Where in your life do you need to "lift up your head" to recalibrate your trajectory?
- Spend some time in prayer thanking God for His grace and goodness for us in Christ. Pray that He would help you not forget Him and His great works.