Psalms: Getting to Know the Ways of God, Part 7 (Psalm 42)
Sin may cause depression, but not all depression is caused by sin. Everybody in the world is depressed, just to different degrees.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing you found particularly interesting, insightful, helpful or difficult to understand from this Sunday?
- Have you ever experienced a “dark night of the soul”?
- Read and discuss Psalm 142. What does this tell us about us? What does it tell us about God? What big picture concepts are here in these verses? Where is Jesus in these verses? How do respond to David’s up and down struggle with the Lord?
- How do you respond to Pastor Mike’s statement, “Everybody in the world is depressed – just to different degrees”?
- In regards to verses 3 & 10, what “where is your God?” taunts do we deal with today?
- In what ways do you tend to hide your despair? What is the value of bringing it out into the light of fellowship & community?
- How does the gospel give us hope in the midst of depression and despair?
- How does remembering God help us deal with depression or despair?
- Is there any particular unaddressed sin in your life that is causing spiritual depression? How does your faith need to reason with your fears? Spend some time in prayer for the things you’ve discussed.