Psalms: Getting to Know the Ways of God, Part 1 (Psalm 1)
Meditation is the mother of insight. Meditating on the Psalms can help us discern between the “way of the righteous” and the “way of the wicked.”
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing you found particularly interesting, insightful, helpful or difficult to understand from this Sunday?
- What does it mean to be blessed?
- Read and discuss Psalm 1. What does this tell us about us? What does it tell us about God? Why do you think this is “the gateway to the Psalms” and why is that significant? What warnings or encouragements are here for us to heed?
- What two ways of living are expressed in Psalm 1? Compare and contrast.
- What three things here in Psalm 1 cause departure from happiness in God?
- What does it mean to walk in the counsel of the ungodly? How can we tell good counsel from bad counsel?
- What does it mean to stand in the way of sinners? Is there an area of your life where you are doing this?
- What does it mean to sit in the seat of mockers? What is the significance of the progression of “walking” then “standing” and now “sitting”?
- What does it mean to delight in the law of the Lord? Do you feel this is something you do regularly? Why or why not?
- How does one become “planted” in the Word of God? How does the gospel of Jesus enable us to do this?
- What steps do you need to take to become “firmly planted” in the Word of God? Spend some time together in prayer for the things you’ve discussed.