The Lord’s discipline is pain lovingly inflicted by God to bring us out of sin and turn us to life.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing you found particularly interesting, insightful, helpful or difficult to understand from this Sunday?
- When you were growing up, what was your parents’ view of discipline? How did that play out in your home?
- Read and discuss Proverbs 10:17, 6:2, 3:11-12, Psalm 32 and Hebrews 12:5-11. What do you note about the discipline of the Lord? What are some other scriptures that teach us about the Lord’s discipline?
- What is your reaction to this definition of discipline? “The Lord’s discipline is pain lovingly inflicted by God to bring me out of sin and turn me to life.” Have you found this to be true in your life? How?
- What is the goal and heart behind the discipline of the Lord? How does it act as guard rails in life?
- How can we know if we are experiencing the discipline of the Lord?
- How do we ignore or reject the Lord’s discipline? What are the results?
- How should we respond to the Lord’s discipline?
- What is one way in the last year that you’ve experienced the discipline of the Lord?
- Spend some time thanking God for His love and kindness through discipline. Pray that He would reveal any areas of life where you are missing hearing His voice.