Words are a signature of the soul. They reveal who we really are, and they mold and shape those around us.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing from this message that was particularly challenging or encouraging to you?
- What does it mean that “the tongue has the power of life and death” (Proverbs 18:21)? How should that guide the way we speak and write?
- Do you feel like you hear more negative words than positive ones throughout your life? Do you feel like you say more negative words than positive ones?
- Has the direction of your life ever been profoundly affected by the power of someone’s words (either positively or negatively)?
- Is there anyone from whom you need to seek forgiveness for words you have spoken? Is there anyone you need to forgive?
- Read and discuss Matthew 12:33-37. Why is there such a deep connection between our heart and our words? Why does the Lord take our words so seriously?
- Spend some time in prayer praising God for the Gospel message, which contains the most powerful and life-giving words of all. Ask Him to help your words to “always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person” (Colossians 4:6).