Marriage is an imperfect earthly picture of a perfect heavenly truth, a living parable of the gospel. What story is your marriage telling those around you?
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing you found particularly interesting, insightful, helpful or difficult to understand from this sermon?
- Whatever your view of marriage or your marital status happens to be, what has been the single biggest influence on how you view marriage?
- Read and discuss Ephesians 2:1-10 and 5:15-33. How does faith in Christ point us to marriage? How does marriage point us to faith in Christ? How is marriage an imperfect picture of a perfect heavenly truth?
- What authorities in your life do you have to submit to? What does it mean to biblically submit in the context of marriage?
- "Work steals the degree to which we can love our wives." Discuss this statement. Have you found that to be true?
- How does the gospel of Jesus Christ give context to God’s gift of marriage? How does the gospel inform, support, guide and empower marriage?
- If you are married, what do you think your marriage is saying to those around you? What is one thing you can do to apply the gospel within your marriage? If you are unmarried, what is one thing you can do to give gospel support to the marriages around you?
- Give thanks in prayer to God that He has given us the gift of marriage as a living parable of the Gospel. Pray for the state of marriage in our country in general. Pray for your own marriage and the marriages around you, that God would strengthen them and that they would be a light for the Lord.