Vanity is the enemy of unity, and unity is the fruit of humility.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What is one thing from this teaching that you hope to talk about as a group?
- What is the difference between unity and uniformity in Christian community? Which do you tend toward?
- Read and discuss Philippians 2:1-11. What does this tell you about the person and nature of Jesus? What do you see about the nature of man?
- What do you note in these verses about humility? What role should humility play in the individual life of a Christ-follower? How should this affect the community of the church?
- Consider Pastor Mike's diagnostic self-evaluation questions: Do you like to argue? Are you defensive when someone corrects you? Do you immediately form a defense while someone is speaking into your life? Do you find it hard to admit that you are wrong? Is is difficult for you to ask for forgiveness? Does your life leave a wake of conflict? Do you enjoy gossiping about others? Do you tend to draw attention to your body more than your countenance? Which do you tend to struggle with the least? The most?
- How does the gospel address and remedy our struggle with pride? How does the gospel set the context for and empower true humility?
- Is there an area of your life you feel God is calling you to stop acting out of selfish ambition or vain conceit? Is there an area of your life where you feel God is calling to to begin valuing others above yourself in humility? Spend some time in prayer asking God to reveal these areas to you and for the grace to be obedient in them.