When we believe a lie, we will perpetuate that lie. We need the "therapy" of the Word of God to renew our minds to right thinking.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- If you had to give a one-sentence synopsis of this message, what would you say?
- Read and discuss Philippians 4:8-9. Why do you think Paul includes this section in his letter to the Philippians?
- Paul says to "think on these things." What specifically is he calling us to think upon? Do you naturally tend to think on these things? Why or why not?
- What opposition do you find to putting your mind to the things Paul prescribes?
- Read Romans 12:1-2 and John 8:31-32. How does truth set free? What does it mean to have a renewed mind? How are they connected? What role does the Word of God have in renewing our minds?
- Pastor Mike gave three examples of "incomplete truths" the world presents in defining certain words – success, genius, and looks (or beauty). How does the world system tend to define these terms? Is there a contrast between how scripture defines those words?
- What other words does the world system define in ways that are incomplete or contradictory to the scriptures? What are the implications or consequences of buying into a faulty definition of these terms?
- How is the gospel of Christ "therapy" for our minds? Spend some time in prayer thanking God for the blessing and provision of the gospel.