Is the command to “not be anxious about anything” reasonable or realistic?
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What is one thing from this message that you found particularly helpful, insightful, or difficult to grasp?
- Do you feel you are an anxious person by nature? What do you tend to worry most about? Why?
- Read and discuss Philippians 4:4-7 and Matthew 6:25-34. What do you observe about the person of Christ from these verses? What do you see about the nature of man? Are there any commands or precepts to be followed in these verses?
- What is the difference between concern and anxiety?
- Is the command to “not be anxious about anything” (Phil. 4:6) reasonable or realistic? Why?
- Why do we tend to hope in results instead of in the Lord?
- How does the gospel empower us to be anxious for nothing? How does the gospel comfort us when we are anxious anyway?
- Is there a situation or circumstance you are currently dealing with where you are “borrowing into tomorrow’s worries”? What would it look like for you to submit those worries to Christ? Spend some time in prayer for this.