The more you love Jesus, the more you will love people. The more you love people, the less in love you will be with the world.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing you found particularly interesting, insightful, helpful or difficult to understand from this Sunday?
- How is our society and culture “me-centered”? What examples of this can you think of?
- Read and discuss Galatians 5:13-15, Romans 12:9-21, Romans 13:8-14, Mark 7:14-23, and Luke 10:25-37. What common themes are in these scriptures? What do they tell us about loving others? How do they point us to Christ?
- Can we love others without doing anything? How do the verses above call us to put love into action?
- Identify the imperatives/commands from the verses above. Why is it impossible to keep these commands outside of the gospel of Jesus? How does understanding the value of the gospel frame these commands and enable us toward obedience?
- What does it mean to love your neighbor “as yourself”? How does this command sum up the whole law?
- How would you finish this sentence? “If we love people, we will _____.” How might God be calling you to “love in action” in an area you are not currently engaged?
- How does envy reveal idols? How does jealousy short-circuit love?
- What distractions can you identify that keep you from loving others?
- Spend some time in prayer about what you’ve discussed. Ask God to reveal anything that is keeping you from loving those around you. Pray that He would enable you to see the preciousness of the gospel in a way that compels you to deeper love for others.
“NO GREATER LOVE” FOCUS: TELLING YOUR STORY, 2
Continue working on your personal story, as outlined last week. Provide an opportunity for each group member to share their spiritual journey in 3-5 minutes. Note that each member should be prepared to hear constructive feedback on how they might communicate their story a bit more effectively.
Here are some resources on sharing our faith to consider and recommend:
Discuss any other resources you’ve found helpful in engaging others with the message of Jesus.