Moses: A Reluctant Leader, Part 5
When looking at Scripture, we must discern if what we are reading is descriptive (specific to a single situation or individual) or prescriptive (normative for all people). We often forget that God is not obligated to do everything He is able to do – He is only obilgated to do what He has promised to do.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- Read and discuss Exodus 13:17-22. What does this tell you about God? About man?
- According to Pastor Mike, what it the difference between “descriptive” and “prescriptive” when examining scripture?
- What are the implications of this statement, based on Daniel 3:16-18? “God is not obligated to do what He is able to do. He is only obligated to do what He promises to do.”
- What are some things that you personally expect or desire that God has not necessarily promised?
- What are some of the promises of God that hold particular value to you? How does knowing the promises of God affect your faith?