The starting point of the Great Commission is not the Great Commission. It is the Lordship of Jesus Christ.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing you found particularly interesting, insightful, helpful or difficult to understand from this Sunday?
- Do you ever feel guilty when the topic of missions is brought up? Why or why not?
- Read and discuss Matthew 28:18-20. What do these verses tell us about God and His heart? Identify and discuss the who, what, when, where and how of the Great Commission based on these verses.
- How does verse 18 set the context for verses 19-20? Why does this matter? What right does Jesus have to make such a claim?
- Read and discuss John 13:13 and Luke 6:46. How is the Lordship of Jesus Christ related to missions?
- “The Christian life is not a democracy. It is an absolute monarchy.” Why does this distinction matter? What are the practical implications?
- What is the difference between a convert and a disciple? Which are you?
- Dr. Murray indicated that in terms of missions involvement, we are either goers, senders or disobedient. Which category do you fall in? Which category is the Lord calling you to?
- How does the gospel of Jesus frame our thoughts and actions regarding missions?
- Are you willing to sign “the blank page”? What fears do you have regarding full submission to the authority and Lordship of Jesus? Spend some time in prayer about your discussion.