Most of us live with the mentality of “life will be better when…” and constantly look ahead to the next big thing that will surely bring happiness. This is a pattern that can be traced from birth to death, yet we never find the satisfaction we crave. Instead, we are often crushed by the weight of expectation of the future “whens”. We must never let our expectations of the future keep us from being good stewards of the present.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- Think back to how you viewed life when you were younger. How has life worked out in regards to your expectations then?
- Read and discuss James 4:13-17 and 1 Corinthians 3:18-23. What do these verses tell you about man? About God?
- What are some of the future “whens” of life that you feel will make your life better?
- What is the difference between happiness and joy?
- In what ways do present expectations of the future keep you from being a good steward of the present?