Every time we believe a lie, it becomes easier to believe the next one. Lies pave the way to more lies.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing you found particularly interesting, insightful, helpful or difficult to understand from this sermon?
- Last week’s “homework” was to read one chapter of Proverbs each day until your group meets again. What did you learn? What insights did you gain?
- Read and discuss James 1:19-27 and John 8:42-44. What do these verses tell us about us? What do they tell us about God? What warnings or commands are here?
- What is the “world” in the context of these verses? How do we experience the world? How can we be tainted by the world?
- Pastor Mike shared 3 areas where lies from the world invade: Intellectually, morally & materialistically. What examples of each can you think of?
- In Pastor Mike’s example, what is the difference between “science” and “scientist”? What happens if you fail to make the distinction? What other examples like this can you think of?
- “Intellectual lies lead to moral lies lead to material lies” Have you found this sequence to be true? How to lies pave the way for more lies? Give examples.
- How does the gospel of Jesus deal with the stain of the world? How does the gospel keep us from being permanently stained?
- Are there particular areas of your life that have been stained or polluted by the world? Spend some time in prayer surrendering these to the Lord, and thanking Him for the cleansing power of the gospel.