If life is a vapor, then so is suffering.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing you found particularly interesting, insightful, helpful or difficult to understand from this Sunday?
- Read and discuss James 5:7-11. What does this tell us about us? What do these verses tell us about God? What commands, encouragements or warnings are there for us to heed?
- What does this section tell us about suffering and perseverance? How does it play out in the three examples James gives us here (farmers, prophets, and the life of Job)?
- Have you ever had to be patient in suffering? What happened? How did you relate to God through that time?
- Have you ever experienced persecution directly because of your faith in Jesus?
- What is the doctrine of imminence (v. 7) and why does it matter?
- Consider Romans 8:18. Why does Scripture call our sufferings “not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed”? What does this mean for our daily lives?
- How does the gospel of Jesus give us an eternal perspective, particularly when considering pain and suffering?
- Is there an area of suffering where you need to be patient and persevere? What would it look like to view this area through the lens of an eternal perspective? Spend some time praying together about this.