The love of stuff is the seed of greed. Money always abandons us in the time of our greatest need.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing you found particularly interesting, insightful, helpful or difficult to understand from this Sunday?
- Read and discuss James 5:1-6. What does this tell us about us? What do these verses tell us about God? What commands, encouragements or warnings are there for us to heed?
- Who are the “rich” whom James is addressing the verses above?
- “Money is not bad in and of itself – but it is dangerous.” What does this mean? What examples can you think of?
- “Treasures, because of time, become stuff.” How have you seen this principle to be true?
- How is hoarding a way of presuming upon the future?
- In what ways can we passively abuse the poor?
- What is a way you can “do for one what you wish you could do for everyone”?
- Consider Pastor Mike’s diagnostic questions: “Are you a hoarder? Do you love money? Has money ever gotten you in trouble? Do you have a giving plan? Do you think more about giving saving or spending?” How would you answer each of these?
- How did Jesus become poor that we might become rich (2 Corinthians 8:9)? How should we respond to this great truth? Spend some time in prayer over the things you’ve discussed.