In the Beginning, Part 56: Escaping Egypt
No matter what is going on in your life, you are still in “Egypt,” the land of your affliction. But if you have put your trust in Christ, you can know that you will someday escape Egypt to dwell in an eternal, heavenly city.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing about this message that you found particularly encouraging, challenging, or beneficial?
- Read and discuss these passages: 2 Samuel 12:21-22, Job 19:25-27, Psalm 49:15, Psalm 73:23-24, Ecclesiastes 3:11, and Daniel 12:13. What did God’s people who lived in Old Testament times believe about life after death? What can we learn that?
- Pastor Mike said that no matter how your life is going, you are still living in Egypt, the land of affliction. What are the implications of this?
- What does it mean that we are all on a pilgrimage, trying to “get back to the Garden of Eden”? How do you see this play out in your life? How do you observe it in the people around you?
- What does it look like to be “sorrowful, yet always rejoicing” (2 Corinthians 6:10)? Do you feel that this describes your life? Why or why not?
- Spend some time in prayer, asking God to help you view life with an eternal perspective, seeing the truths of God as infinitely greater than the things of this world.