In the Beginning, Part 51: Awakening of the Conscience
The accounts of Scripture are not just about individual people in history; they are a revelation of the human condition and our desperate need for somebody to take our sin and get rid of our guilty consciences. All pillows are soft if your conscience is clear.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What is one thing about this message that was particularly helpful, challenging, or encouraging for you?
- What is the conscience? Why did God create us with a conscience?
- Read and discuss Genesis 42. How is this “the awakening of the conscience”? How does Joseph go after his brothers’ consciences? Why do you think he does this? What happens in his brothers as a result?
- What do you think you would have reacted if you were in Joseph’s situation? What would have been difficult for you?
- Have you ever been tempted to take revenge on someone who wronged you? What happened?
- What happens when we ignore or reject the promptings of our conscience? How have you experienced this?
- Do you saturate your conscience in the Word of God? Why is this important? How do you need to grow in this?
- Is there something your conscience brings up regularly for you? How do you need to deal with that? What counsel do the Scriptures give?