What appears to be a downward spiral in Joseph’s life is actually a trajectory toward greatness, because of the Lord’s providential working. Joseph’s identity was in the Lord, and the Lord was always with Joseph.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What is one thing about this message that was particularly helpful, challenging, or encouraging for you?
- How would you define “character”? Why does character matter? How does temptation seek to undermine our character?
- Read and discuss Genesis 39. What does this reveal about the natures of man and God? What stands out to you about Joseph’s character?
- How do you see the providential hand of God at work in Genesis 39? How did an apparent downward spiral in Joseph’s life turn out to be a trajectory of grace and provision? Have you ever experienced something similar?
- Where is Joseph’s focus as he navigates the relentless temptation of Potiphar’s wife? What lessons are there for us as we face our own temptations? What relentless temptations do you face?
- Do you think those around you can see that the Lord is with you (v. 3)? Why or why not? What adjustments do you need to make?
- How is Joseph faithful to God, despite his circumstances? What is an area or situation in your life that you need to remain faithful, even if the circumstances are less than ideal?
- How does crisis reveal our true character? How have you experienced this?
- Discuss this statement: “Your identity will eventually become your idolatry if it is not in Christ.” How have you seen or experienced this? How is the gospel the remedy to false identity and idolatry?