In the Beginning, Part 45: Favorite Son, Jealous Brothers
Joseph’s brothers were immersed in unresolved bitterness that led them into grievous sin. The same can happen to any of us, but as we meditate day and night on God’s Word, He changes our hearts, minds, and souls.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What is one thing about this message that was particularly helpful, challenging, or encouraging for you?
- Read through and discuss Genesis 37:1-11. What do you note about the effects of favoritism on this family?
- How have you personally seen or experienced the effects of favoritism, envy or hatred?
- What is the difference between jealousy and envy? In what ways do you find yourself envious or jealous?
- How is envy and jealousy ultimately mistrusting God?
- What trajectory does hatred always take when left unchecked? How do you see this played out in these verses in Genesis 37?
- How does immersing ourselves in God’s Word change and renew us?
- Do you have past or current unresolved jealousy, envy or hatred? How does the gospel of Jesus call and enable us to forgive? What would this look like in your situation? What steps might God be calling you to take?