Genesis 34 is a tragic chapter that depicts the dangers of poor parenting, favoritism, the escalation of sin, worldliness, and self-centeredness. But we all will act deceptively when we don’t trust in God’s sovereignty.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What is one thing about this message that was particularly helpful, challenging, or encouraging for you?
- Read and discuss Genesis 34. What does this show us about the nature of man? What does it reveal about your own soul?
- Where do you see the following themes and their effects in Genesis 34? PARENTING, FAVORITISM, ESCALATION OF SIN, HOLINESS V. WORLDLINESS, SELF-CONTENTEDNESS, SOVEREIGNTY OF GOD
- Which of the six themes above do you relate to most? Why?
- How can Scripture be used wrongly to deceive or manipulate? What examples have you seen of this? How can we avoid doing this ourselves?
- What is the difference between shame and conviction?
- Discuss this statement: “We act deceptively when we don’t trust God’s sovereignty.” How have you seen this to be true in your life?
- Spend some time in prayer for the things you’ve discussed. Consider how the gospel speaks into each area and thank God for His amazing grace that covers us.