Coming to the end of ourselves happens when eternal matters outweigh temporal matters. Our souls are not designed to find satisfaction in this world.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing about this message that you found particularly beneficial, insightful, or difficult?
- In what ways have you wrestled with God in your life? In what ways are you wrestling with Him now?
- Read and discuss Genesis 32:22-32. What do you note about faith and perseverance and identity in this narrative? Where do you see yourself in the story?
- Why did God need to bring Jacob to the end of himself?
- Discuss the following statement: “Coming to the end of ourselves is when eternal matters outweigh temporal ones.” Has God ever brought you to the end of yourself? What happened as a result?
- In what ways do you tend to lean upon your own natural gifting and resources instead of trusting God? How does the gospel of Jesus pull us away from self-reliance?
- Discuss the following statement: “Our souls are not designed to be satisfied by this world.” How have you observed and experienced this?
- In what ways do you need to present your body before the Lord as a reasonable act of worship (Romans 12:1)?