In the Beginning, Part 32: Lean Not on Your Own Understanding
Our understanding is unsafe if it is not aligned with Scripture. Unlike Isaac, Rebekah, Jacob, or Esau, we must trust in the Lord with all our hearts.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What is one thing that you found particularly encouraging or challenging from this message?
- Read and discuss Genesis 27:30-46. Who are the four characters here? How do each of them display a lack of faith? What idol does each seem to worship? Whom do you most relate to?
- How is this story a microcosm of our nation?
- Read and discuss Proverbs 3:5-7. How do these verses in Proverbs interpret Genesis 27 for us? What insight does it provide?
- What does it mean to “fear” the Lord (Proverbs 3:7)?
- What does it mean to lean in your own understanding? What examples can you think of? In what ways do you tend to do this?
- Discuss the statement, “Our idolatries are often driven by our passions.” How have you observed or experienced this? How does the gospel provide the remedy to our idolatry?
- Spend some time in prayer for the things you’ve discussed. Ask the Lord to reveal any ways in your like in which you are leaning on your own understanding instead of trusting Him.