The Christian life is not based on feelings, it is based on the promises of God.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing you found particularly challenging, insightful, helpful, or difficult to understand from this Sunday?
- Discuss Pastor Mike’s statement: When the believer runs, God comes after us. When the believer is in darkness, God sees us. But it often doesn’t feel like it. How do you respond to this? Have you ever wondered where God is in hard times?
- Read and discuss Genesis 16:7-15, Judges 6:1-14 and 2 Corinthians 4:16-18. What is the essence of each account? What themes do you see here? How is it linked to the big story of scripture?
- What do you think of when you hear the word “submit”? Why does God ask Hagar to return and submit?
- “Knowledge of the deep things of God come through trials.” How do you respond to this statement? How have you seen or experienced this?
- “The Christian life isn’t based on feelings but on the promises of God found in His Word.” How do you respond to this statement? Have you ever questioned the character of God based on your feelings? Why do we need the Word of God to anchor our emotions?
- How does the “American dream” collide with the gospel of Jesus? How are they at odds? In what ways do you struggle with that tension?
- Do you think God owes you anything? Why or why not?
- What are some of the promises of God in scripture that you hold most dear? Why?
- What is a current struggle you are dealing with that you can apply 2 Corinthians 4:16-18 to? Spend some time praying through that verse.