Religion is pride before the law, while Christianity is humility before the cross.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing you found particularly challenging, insightful, helpful, or difficult to understand from this Sunday?
- How do you define faith? How would you explain the role of faith in the life of a Christian to someone who is not a believer?
- Read and discuss Genesis 15. What is the essence of this story? How is it linked to the big story of scripture? What does it tell us about God? How does Genesis 15 profoundly represent the gospel in the Old Testament?
- How can a person be a follower of Christ, but not be a believer in Him? What are the differences?
- How does Abraham question God? What other examples in Scripture of people questioning God can you think of? Do we have the right to question God? In what ways have you questioned God?
- What is a covenant? Why does God make a covenant with Abraham? What is a “unilateral” covenant? Why is this significant?
- Discuss this statement: “Most doubts come from a false understanding of the gospel.” How have you observed or experienced this? What doubts have you had or do you have regarding faith in Jesus? How do you handle those doubts?
- Spend some time in prayer for the the things you’ve discussed. Give thanks to God that the fulfillment of His promises rests on Him, not on us.