One of the hallmarks of being conformed to the image of Christ is joy. Although our culture often uses “joy” and “fun” interchangably, they are vastly different. Fun is temporary. Joy is the inner spiritual confidence that God’s grace is sufficient for our pilgrimage in this life.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What is the difference between joy and fun? How have you experienced the contrast between the two in your own life?
- Read and discuss Philippians 1:1-11. What does this tell you about the nature of man? Of God?
- Based on the verses above, how would you define "joy"? How is that different between the common cultural perception of it?
- "Joy comes when you give your life away for the sake of the Gospel." How have you experienced this? Are you giving your life away for the sake of the Gospel?
- Would you say you spend most of your time in pursuit of fun or joy? What would need to change in your life in order to have a more biblical balance? How can your Shepherd Group help you to be accountable to making those changes?