In the first two messages of the GPS series, we looked at “here” – our current positioning as a church and how we got here. In this message, Pastor Mike begins to look at the “there” – being conformed into the image of Christ. Becoming like Christ is impossible apart from the chastening hand of God, who, in His mercy, chips away at everything in us that is not of Him.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- Read and discuss Deuteronomy 8:1-6. What does this tell you about the nature of man? Of God?
- What is the connection between obedience and abundant life?
- "When you are not in the wilderness, you will tend toward self-reliance." Have you seen this at work in your own life?
- How do wilderness experiences cause us to depend on God?
- Have you ever experienced "the chastening hand of God"? In what ways is the Lord's discipline a gift to us?