The greatest encouragement we can give someone is to love them, but the apostle Paul gives us an impossible standard for love in 1 Corinthians 13. Biblical love is always at odds with the self-centered elements our fallen nature like envy, jealousy and pride. To love someone in the truest sense is impossible apart from Christ.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- How would you define love? Share an example of love you have seen or experienced.
- Read and discuss 1 Corinthians 13. What does this tell you about man? What does it tell you about man's need for God?
- Which of the points in the verses above do you feel are personal strengths? Which ones are weaknesses for you?
- Why is love "the greatest of these" (verse 13)?
- "Our lives have been shaped by two things: those who have hurt us the most, and those who have loved us the most." How have you seen this statement at work in your own life? What current relationships should you evaluate in light of this statement?
- How is love confused with admiration? What are the results of this?