Whenever we are given a gift, we have three options of what we can do with it: hide it, use it, or exchange it. Jason Goetz looks at some of the worst “gift exchanges” in biblical history and shares how encouragement can help us not exchange the great gift we have in Christ for something of infinitely less value.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- Have you ever recieved an awkward gift? Did you hide, use, or exchange it?
- Read and discuss Genesis 25:29-34. What do these verses tell you about the nature of man? Of God?
- In what ways do we exchange our "birthright" as Esau did?
- Read and discuss Hebrews 3:13-14. What do these verses tell you about the nature of man and the person of Christ?
- What is the role of encouragement in the life of a Christian? Is it something optional?
- "Encouragement encourages the encouragee as well as the encourager." Have you seen this at work in your life?
- How does encouragement help us from making bad exchanges?