Forgiveness is the willingness to live with the consequences of someone else’s sin without holding it against them.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What is one thing you found especially helpful, challenging, or encouraging from this message?
- What are some differences between a “person-centered Gospel” and a “Jesus-centered Gospel”?
- Pastor Supp defined forgiveness as “the willingness to live with the consequences of someone else’s sin without holding it against them.” What do you think of that statement? Have you ever thought of forgiveness like that before? What other definitions of forgiveness can you think of?
- Do you tend to minimize your own sin and need for forgiveness, while maximizing the sins of others against you? Can you think of any specific examples in your life?
- Read and discuss Matthew 18:21-35. Do you notice anything in this passage that you haven’t seen before? Why do you think God takes forgiveness of others so seriously?
- Do you find it difficult to accept that God’s goal for you is not a pain-free life, but a life that glorifies Him? Or that God ultimately has every trial under His sovereign control? What Scriptures come to mind that speak to those truths?
- Is there anyone in your life from whom you are withholding forgiveness? Pray that the Lord would give you the grace and faith to forgive that person as God, through Christ, forgave you.