We will never be fully human until we learn to fully love. According to Jesus, that includes loving both our neighbors and our enemies.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing about this message that you found particularly compelling, encouraging, challenging, or beneficial?
- Read and discuss Matthew 5:43-48. What does this reveal about us? What does it teach us about God? What about this teaching is difficult to grasp?
- Read and discuss Romans 13:8-10. What does it mean to love someone “as yourself”? Why is this teaching so contrary to human nature?
- Pastor Mike said, “We will never be fully human until we learn to fully love.” What does this mean? Why is this a “gut punch” to our natural human inclinations?
- What does it look like to “love fully”? How does this make us “fully human”?
- When Jesus says love your enemy, who comes to mind? What would it look like to love them? How can we love people whom we despise?
- How can we “be perfect” (Matthew 5:48)? How does the gospel both call us to perfection and supply what is needed to meet this standard?
- Spend some time in prayer for the things you’ve discussed. Thank God for His great love for us and ask Him to supply what you need to love others, even those who seem impossible to love.