Courage is not the absence of fear, but fearing the right thing in the right way.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What is one thing about this message that was particularly helpful, challenging, or encouraging for you?
- What things make you afraid? How do you tend to experience fear?
- Read and discuss Joshua 1:1-9. What does this tell us about God? How do you think you would feel if you were in Joshua’s situation?
- How does Joshua serve as a foreshadowing of Jesus?
- What role does God’s plan, the assurance of His presence and His Word play in how we deal with our fears? How have you experienced that?
- Discuss this statement: Courage is not the absence of fear, but fearing the right thing in the right way. How does faith reveal fear? What does it mean to fear God? How does this give us courage?
- In Joshua 1:7-8, what are we to do (and not do) with God’s Word? How would you score yourself on each thing?
- What does it mean to mediate on the Word of God? Have you made meditation of Scripture a vital part of each day? If so, how has it helped you obey the Lord? If not, what can you do to make time for the God’s Word in your daily schedule?
- How is Jesus Christ the fulfillment of God’s plan, presence and Word?
- What is one thing you feel God may be asking you to do? What is holding you back from obeying Him in that thing? What would it look like to trust him and step out in strength and courage?