We tend to let cultural fears direct our prayers, which can lead to disillusionment and a lack of depth in our prayer life. May we instead be driven to deep prayer by the glorious greatness of Christ.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing from this sermon you found particularly helpful, insightful or difficult to understand?
- Read and discuss Ephesians 1:15-20. What do you see about the nature of man? What do these verses tell you about the nature & person of God?
- From these verses, what do you observe about Paul? What is he showing us about prayer?
- How does our culture affect how we pray? Are there ways in which this is good, bad or neutral?
- What is the "fuel" that drives you to pray? What do you pray most often about?
- Have you ever felt disillusioned because of prayer? What happened?
- Can you identify a particular fear that tends to dominate your thoughts or prayer life?
- How does understanding "the glorious greatness of Christ and the hope of His glory" affect how we pray?
- Spend some time in prayer together asking God to enlighten the eyes of your heart (Eph. 1:18) and deepen your desire and ability in the area of prayer.