Be the Church, Part 2
The church is called to be salt that preserves the world from decaying and light that cuts through darkness. The salt sets the stage for the light.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- How would you describe the mission of the church, in one sentence?
- Read Matthew 5:13-16. What does it mean for believers to be the salt of the earth? What does it mean to be the light of the world?
- Read John 3:16-21. How does this passage, with its imagery of light and dark, describe the hopelessness of man’s condition? What is the hope-filled solution the Lord provides?
- Why do most religions offer a performance-based path to salvation? What is Scripture’s response to someone who believes they must work to earn God’s favor?
- Why must we act like “salt” before people will be receptive to our “light”? How might that affect your day-to-day life?
- What fears or doubts keep you from sharing the Gospel? What truths from Scripture might help you overcome those fears?
- Spend some time praying that the Lord would help you to be salt and light to those around you.