In the last part of our Addiction series, Pastor Mike teaches through Psalm 115 and looks at the cause, consequences, and cure for addictive behavior. Addiction is a matter of worship, and you become like what you worship. What hope is there for the addicted?
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- Read and discuss Psalm 115. What do you observe about the nature of idols from these verses?
- What is the connection between idols and addictions?
- Read and discuss James 4:1-10. How is conflict connected to addiction?
- “The heart is an idol factory.” If this statement is true, what are the implications for where/how you place your affections?
- How can the things we love replace God as supreme in our hearts? How have you seen this at work in your own life?
- One of the consequences of addictive behavior is becoming estranged from God. Have you ever been through a season of life where God was “background noise”?
- What hope is there for someone dealing with addictive behavior?