Addiction, Part 2: Addictive Behaviors
Human beings have a built-in bent toward addictive behavior. Pastor Mike takes look at two men in Scripture – Esau and Haman – and the destructive power of addictive behavior in their lives. Whether we need instant gratification, recognition or other addictive behaviors, these things are only symptoms of a deeper idolatry. Our idols dictate behavior and drive addictions.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- Read and discuss Genesis 25:21-34 & Esther 5:3-13. What do you observe about the nature of addiction in the lives of Esau and Haman?
- Can you think of other people in Scripture who display strong addictive behavior?
- How are instant gratification and recognition portrayed or promoted in our culture?
- In what ways do you find yourself leaning toward potentially addictive behavior?
- At what point does a desire become addiction?
- What is something you find yourself saying “just one more” to over and over again?
- How can you apply what you’ve learned in this teaching?