Addiction, Part 1: The Nature of Addiction
Addiction is slavery to any sinful behavior or habit in direct conflict to the revealed will of God. Popular culture tends to label addiction as a disease, but this distinction must be made – you catch a disease; you choose an addition. We are not victims of some random outside influence; addiction is simply the result of the eyes of a man never being satisfied. It is a desire – even a godly desire – that is out of control. It is, in essence, idolatry.
SHEPHERD GROUP QUESTIONS
- What key themes or verses stood out to you in this teaching?
- Can you relate to Pastor Mike’s illustration of feeling “caged”?
- What in your life do you feel you need escape or relief from?
- What activities/behaviors do you tend to engage in to provide relief or escape?
- Are these indicative of any hidden addictions in your life? Why or why not?
- How is the Gospel the key to unlocking the chains of addiction?
- How can you practically apply what you learned through this teaching?