Everyone has some amount of strength, intellect and wealth. The natural pull of the human heart will be to glory in any of these and pit our human wisdom against against God’s wisdom.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- As you reflect back on this week's sermon, what one principle or insight, what one principle stands out as being particularly helpful, insightful or difficult to grasp?
- In what ways do people tend to pit human intelligence against God's wisdom? What does this tend to look like in your life?
- Read and discuss Jeremiah 9:23-24 and Psalm 73. What do you see about the nature of man in these verses? What do you observe about the nature of God?
- Strength, riches, intellect: which do you tend to lean on at the expense of trusting God?
- How does the Gospel remedy our tendency toward trusting in these finite things?
- "Are you currently scheming to 'bury an Egyptian'?" Ask God to reveal any areas where you may be pitting your human wisdom against His sovereign wisdom, and spend some time in prayer with your small group about this.