MUSIC & SCRIPTURE
All Creation Sing (Joy To The World) (Psalm 96:12-13a) – North Point Christmas by Seth Condrey
Our God Is Love (1 John 4:9-10) – A Beautiful Exchange by Hillsong Worship
The First Noel (Luke 2:9-10) – Original Arrangement
Silent Night (Luke 2:13-14) – The Dawn of Grace by Sixpence None The Richer
Hark! The Herald Angels Sing (Luke 2:9-10) – Original Arrangement
TEACHING: An Old Man’s First Christmas
Familiarity dilutes the significance of past events. And the birth of Jesus Christ has eternal significance.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- How did this message encourage or challenge you?
- What are some of the Old Testament prophecies about the Messiah that Simeon might have been thinking about as he held the child Jesus?
- Read Micah 5:1-5; Malachi 4:1-2; Romans 5:6-11. Compare these passages to the words of the hymn “Hark! The Herald Angels Sing.” How do they speak to the significance of the events of Christmas?
- Do you feel like familiarity has diluted the significance of Christmas to you? What about to those around you? How can you guard against this?
- Spend some time praising God for sending Christ and providing salvation in Him. Pray for any unsaved people in your life, that this might be their “first Christmas.”